作者：林熹, Luke Farkas
類別：考試／參考書> 升大學/插大> 英文
Johannes Kepler is a legend of science and astronomy. A man of many interests and talents, he revolutionized the way humans view the universe and their place within it. He was a man of 1. , and a product of a very contrasting time.
Kepler was born in what is now Germany in 1571. He was a sickly child, and suffered lifelong 2. to his vision as a result of smallpox. He displayed a fantastic talent for mathematics 3. a very young age. His mother, a lover of nature, showed him the night sky, which increased his interests in astronomy.
Kepler began working with another 4. astronomer of the time, Tycho Brahe. Though the two scientists 5. conflict at times, their relationship was a fruitful one. After Brahe’s death, Kepler gained 6. to his extensive data on planetary movement. With this data, Kepler was able to determine that the planets’ orbits aren’t exactly 7. , but elliptical, in a form of an oval. This was a revolutionary concept at the time.
Kepler made many other such scientific 8. . He discovered that 9. from the sun, the weaker the sun’s gravitational force was on that planet. He determined that the tides were caused by the gravity of the moon. He figured out the human eye actually
10. images upside down, and our brains correct them. Truly, Kepler is one of the greatest scientific thinkers in history.
1. (A) connections (B) contradictions (C) confusions (D) considerations
2. (A) impression (B) imprisonment (C) impairment (D) improvement
3. (A) on (B) at (C) in (D) with
4. (A) prominent (B) proficient (C) profound (D) present
5. (A) came into (B) came with (C) came on (D) came up
6. (A) achievement (B) accent (C) account (D) access
7. (A) triangular (B) square (C) circular (D) diamond
8. (A) breakings (B) breakups (C) breakdowns (D) breakthroughs
9. (A) the farther was a planet away (B) the farther away a planet was (C) farther a planet was away from (D) farther away a planet was
10. (A) sees (B) see (C) saw (D) seeing